As we all are well aware about the use of antivirus software and most of us always start with a free version, still I am trying to highlight some the features that a best free antivirus for windows must have. A free antivirus should detect the virus, then help us in disarming, preventing and if complete removal of the antivirus could be done, then what else we need.
However, antivirus software does not provide the perfect solution to the problem related to malware but it is a much needed first step for protection of your computer or laptop. You must first install antivirus software and after that, periodic updates are necessary for its proper functioning.
List of Best Windows Virus Protection Software
We all search for the best antivirus for our system; some go for best free antivirus for windows while more cautious people go for the paid one for complete protective features. However, just for the sake of information I would like to share some of the best free antivirus for windows with you. I have my own favorite in the list provided below, in ranking order. Also read, Best Internet Security 2015
1. Bitdefender Free Antivirus 2015
Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition is one of the best free antivirus for windows mostly due to the fact that it doesn’t put any load on your system resources still managing to block all the dangerous threats. Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition also includes a virus shield to stop all stealth software, rootkits and various other malware from accessing your network. It supports Windows 8 as well as 7 operating systems to support its existence in the list of best free antivirus for windows. Bitdefender can scan your system just after booting in to Windows to stop catching viruses before they load.
- Provides on-access proper protection from most of the viruses and malware.
- Virus definitions are regularly updated automatically in the background.
- Easy on system memory, user friendly and also easy on other resources
- Also available on 64-bit
- Cannot be used for business
- There are no custom scanning options like that in similar products
Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition updates regularly to stay up-to-date with all new threats also it includes a link scanner to protect against your credit card phishing attempts. This free edition is easy and quick to install and it provides you all that you need to protect your system from existing or new threats.
Right after the installation, Bitdefender perform an initial system scan to try and catch anything immediately that should not be on your computer.
2. Ad-Aware Free Antivirus+
It is antivirus software from the company Lavasoft, different from the already available Ad-Aware software. This one is completely free antivirus for windows 8 and it supports Windows 7, apart from Vista and XP versions. If you love the products of the Lavasoft company then this would be a good choice among the best free antivirus for windows. Ad-aware free antivirus is light on resources and easy to use and it is light on computer resources.
- It requires less CPU usage to run, not letting to run short of memory while the antivirus is running.
- It provides constant protection from the viruses, spyware and other malicious programs.
- Availability of right click context menu to start scanning.
- Updating of virus definitions is automatically while connected to internet.
- Facility of full system scan and quick scan with schedule is available.
- Supports gaming with its silent mode, activating reduced impact on system. This is a feature that every game lover wants to have, placing it in the list of the best free antivirus for windows.
- It can work without any problem on windows 7 and windows 8 as well placing it rightly in the list of best free antivirus for window.
- It is non-supportive in nature for email scanning.
- To prevent expiration of the product, registration should be done once in a year, although the registration is free.
- There are some additional features of Ad Aware. They can only be availed if paid version is purchased.
- If you are looking importantly for the real time protection, you should use it as it would cost you a single penny as its one of the best free antivirus for windows.
3. Avast Free Antivirus 2015
This is one of the best free antivirus for windows and my favorite one, you can easily download it from internet. Among the available antivirus software, Avast free antivirus 2015 is being considered the best because it has the complete tools to protect your computer from the threats due to various activities done on internet.
Avast free antivirus provides the constant protection from viruses. It can be used in place of some of the paid antivirus like McAfee and Norton and it is fully functional along with the facility of checking of antispyware also.
- Avast provides continuous protection from viruses and other spyware.
- It uses a “heuristics engine” to identify the previous unknown threats to your computer.
- It also has the facility of silent mode to during gaming so that you do not get disturbed.
- Long track record of excellent virus protection
- Avast is compatible with Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, and XP also and I believe it to be the best free antivirus for windows.
- It cannot be used for commercial purpose.
- Avast sometimes attempts to install few unrelated software, although they are safe but still irritating.
- Periodic free registration through internet is required.
Avast free antivirus is an excellent choice of best free antivirus for windows either 8 or 7 or any other. Overall, it has been rated as an excellent free antivirus and is a complete antimalware program you require for your computer. If you do not need firewall and anti-spam features in an antivirus then Avast is sufficient for protection of your computer.
4. AVG Antivirus Free 2015
AVG is also on the list of one of the best free antivirus for windows available nowadays. It is mainly due to the large number of features similar to premium level antivirus like Norton and McAfee. AVG has complete antivirus and antispyware engines for personal use and has the facility of automatic background updating. It is capable of providing constant virus protection.
- AVG also provides complete on-access protection from malware, as well as from the viruses.
- Updating of virus definitions is periodically as well as automatically.
- Works equally well with Windows 8 & 7 both.
- It is Easy to install and small to download thus, it fits in the best free antivirus for windows.
- Available for Home-use only.
- No silent detection or “Game Mode” feature.
- Annoying ad display to upgrade to a professional version
AVG Antivirus software is also considered among the best antivirus software for windows due to the presence of Link Scanner feature that protects your computer from the websites, which host malicious software. AVG antivirus has the feature of email scanner, which checks the outgoing as well as the incoming emails.
5. Comodo Antivirus
Comodo Antivirus is certainly one of the best free antivirus for windows available. It is being considered best mostly due to its defensive technology that assumes an unknown file to be a potential threat, which makes this free antivirus program approximately 100% efficient and effective.
Most of the other antivirus programs assume that unknown files are mostly safe and its only concern is with files that have proven earlier to be a problem. However, this does not bother you much by the needless warnings.
- Similar to all other free antivirus software’s, Comodo also provides on-access protection from many viruses and malwares.
- Virus definitions are regularly update itself, in the background
- Comodo supports Windows 8, 7, Vista, and XP and thus making it one of the best free antivirus for windows also.
- Option of “Game Mode” is also available.
- There are many other programs and some system settings included while installing setup, which you may not like and want to disable.
- Can only be used for home.
- Setup file is large of about 200 MB, so it may take some time to download.
- Initial updates usually take longer time to complete.
Comodo Antivirus is considered the best free antivirus for windows 7 as it includes a complete range of detection engines for viruses, spyware, and other malwares. It also includes protection from all possible infection sources like email, games, internet messenger etc.
Comodo antivirus can also scan your personal computer’s memory after the computer first starts up. 64-bit program versions are also available for Windows operating systems. It updates periodically to stay prepared for new threats and blocks malicious websites by scanning their URLs.
Comodo can optionally also provide added security to your PCs by using its free DNS servers on your computer. Another feature it supports is drag and drop to scan files. Real time scanning in Comodo can be disabled for any application and its virus scanner can be setup to avoid the scanning of certain files/folders.
As already mentioned, Comodo’s Defense+ technology does not assume that anything is safe; still it does not bother you with needless warnings. To be precise I would say that Comodo Antivirus is in a class of its own both as an antivirus and antimalware solution and thus it is rightly placed in the category best free antivirus for windows .
You should believe the fact that a free downloadable program with free updates can almost completely protect you from various malicious software and you should replace your current antivirus program as soon as possible to get this one of the best free antivirus for windows.
6. Amiti Antivirus
It is an another one of the best free antivirus for windows, having support of scanning of running files automatically and can also update the virus definitions automatically through periodic updates. However, there is not much to say about Amiti antivirus as you can see from the pros and cons of it below.
- You can schedule the scans
- Menus are well organized
- Can update automatically
- Integration of context menus.
- Easy to use
- Option of Multiple Scanning is available making it capable to exist among the best free antivirus for windows.
- Firewall in not built-in
- You cannot make a choice to exclude any specific file types from scanning.
- No facility of USB scanning or incoming and outgoing email scan settings
Still Amiti antivirus comes in the category of the best free antivirus for windows 7 and 8 as well, mainly because of ease in access to options and settings of it. However, it is capable of scanning, updating itself and provides you a good and continuous defense against viruses.
7. Avira Free Antivirus
Avira Free Antivirus is also among the best free antivirus for windows and it is out there in the list for many reasons, the first of which is that it is free. The best feature of Avira Free Antivirus is the availability of protection from a wide range of malware threats and it has a simple interface. It also keeps an eye on the activities all the time and due to this fact, Avira Free Antivirus is capable to replace any antivirus software you have been paying for…
- Avira not only protects from traditional viruses but also it protects from various other malwares.
- Advanced heuristic tools are also present.
- Works on both Windows 8 as well as windows 7.
- Mac operating system is also supported by Avira antivirus
- Automatic updates of all virus definitions provide ease to become a part of best free antivirus for windows.
- Its configuration wizard might be intimidating
- Time taken by the download portion of process of installation is longer than with other programs.
- Installation program makes irritating browser changes settings unless unselected through custom installation.
- Asks to install a toolbar in between the running setup.
Apart from viruses, spyware and adware Avira Free Antivirus also protects you from back-door programs, phishing, dialers, fraudulent software and many more. It has a valuable addition of scheduling the antivirus program even during the boot process and that unseen by me elsewhere.
Avira Free Antivirus possesses an advanced heuristic engine (that means it can also detect malware that it have not not been aware of) and this is another important feature, why Avira secure its position in the list of best free antivirus for windows 8 and 7 as well. Regular automatic updates keeps Avira updated with information of the latest threat also.
Avira Free Antivirus is an excellent choice for best free antivirus for windows, however, it is not my favorite but still Avira has its pluses. The best thing I like about Avira Free Antivirus is its range of protection. It protects from everything either it is an old-fashioned modem dialers or the most advanced Trojan.
One more thing I would like to say about the configuration wizard that is being mentioned as a con, but actually, it is quite handy because it provides you options while installation of Avira. Either it gives you a greater protection or less protection but speeding up your boot process.
8. Baidu Antivirus 2015
Baidu Antivirus 2015 is a great free antivirus program for windows 8 mainly due to the reason that while its design is simple and it is an easy to use antivirus. The antivirus program itself is rich in features; it automatically scans the downloaded file and USB devices for spyware, viruses as well as Webpages for the phishing attempts.
It works with other antivirus programs on Windows 7, Vista, and XP also. Baidu Antivirus is also considered one of the best antivirus programs for windows as it prevents malicious programs to alter your browser.
Every downloaded file can automatically be scanned by Baidu or you can choose to scan the executable files and those, which are in archive. You can also disable the auto-play feature that will help in preventing automatically launch programs from the USB.
Baidu antivirus also includes a built-in anti-key-logger, file shredder, webcam protection and an option to automatically delete any of the threats it detects. You can also enable the same scanning engine that is performed by the Avira antivirus software for real-time protection. These features enable Baidu to stand tall in the list of best free antivirus for windows.
- Automatic virus definition updates.
- Automatic program updates.
- You can schedule the scans.
- It can be installed quickly.
- You will get a USB flash drive protection in Baidu.
- It is capable of detecting malicious website links.
- Context menu can be integrated.
- Baidu is very light on the system resources.
- It also includes an anti-hacker firewall
- Baidu also supports Game/silent mode.
- You can protect specific program changes by a password.
These salient features of Baidu helps it exist among the best free antivirus for windows.
- Email scanner is not available.
Baidu Antivirus 2015 not only protects drivers but also the Windows Registry and critical system locations. You will get hassle-free/silent mode in Baidu Antivirus that can be enabled to suppress the irritating pop-ups.
In Baidu, you can also limit your internet usage and can delay the scheduled scans. This however, can be enabled manually or set to turn on based on the activity of your computer. The antivirus engine is adjustable to Low, Normal, and High and from quick to deep suspicious file detection, a unique feature found in Baidu among the best free antivirus for windows.
You can also schedule to run a quick scan or a full scan and even you can schedule it to automatically disable itself when running on battery. Baidu Antivirus 2015 has a traffic monitor too; to view a list of programs on the computer who are using the network along with displaying the program’s upload and download speed and help you close the program or block its network access.
9. FortiClient Free Antivirus
FortiClient is another one in the list of the best free antivirus for windows 7 because of its extensive reach. FortiClient provides a regular antivirus function but it also includes web filtering, parental controls, network optimization and most importantly a firewall.
- This antivirus also has the feature of automatic updates.
- You can schedule the scans
- It has a protective firewall for you.
- FortiClient also includes Web filtering facility.
- Network optimization is only effective for some devices only.
- It does not have any silent mode option.
FortiClient protects properly against adware and riskware with its built-in antivirus scanner and a protective firewall. It not only works with Windows 8 but also with some of the other versions of Windows (Vista & 8) and as well as with Mac OS X Snow Leopard and its newer versions.
FortiClient also blocks websites by their content category or specific URLs. It also includes an option for configuring a VPN. One thing I have noticed about FortiClient is that it starts a quick virus scan before completion of its installation.
I personally like the point that it immediately started to protect my computer from the first step. However, you can skip the scan to install the program quickly (I would not recommend that).
It seems nice to me that FortiClient enables further web filtering also than just to block malicious links, as it can help the user to block some categories of websites and specific URLs that are unwanted through its Parental Controls section, if you don’t have any you do get this best free antivirus for windows.
10. Immunet FREE Antivirus 3
Immunet free antivirus 3 is also among one of the best free antivirus for windows programs because it regularly connects to the Internet to update itself that help defend against various viruses.
- Immunet helps to provide intelligent scans to detect spyware, viruses, worms, bots etc.
- You never need to update it because it’s always connected to the Internet
- Its support is backed by a Toll-free customer support.
- Immunet can be installed on 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows.
- Immunet fails in scanning the email databases
- Automatic detection of viruses on USB drives is not possible with Immunet antivirus.
- It also does not support the scheduled or even offline scanning.
- Large advertisements are there to irritate your and break your concentration.
Immunet antivirus 3 provides you with real-time detection of viruses, worms, bots, spyware, key-loggers, and even Trojans without ever downloading an update and it supports Windows 8, 7, Vista, and XP operating systems. It works with other antivirus programs to provide you with extra protection and it runs a Flash-Scan to scan the registry and the current running processes.
Get this one of the best free antivirus for windows as a major plus point about the Immunet antivirus 3 is that it’s always connected to the Internet and thus it can regularly update its virus definitions with the information that all other Immunet users gather together. It means that when any threat is detected even on one system, the same threat is blocked same time on all the other computers that are running Immunet free Antivirus 3. It’s a unique feature possessed by any antivirus which falls in the category of best free antivirus for windows.
This feature makes it comforting to install this program, even if you are using other antivirus programs also.
Check this video –
Other Top Free Antivirus After Best 10
- Panda free antivirus
- Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free
- Qihoo 360 Total Security Essential